This list is excerpted as part of a group effort over at Yahoo!’s Big League Stew, and the others in the group actually know shit about baseball, so you should just go there now.
1. Red Sox: Kevin Youkilis’ batting stance bothers me so much, as does every fiber of Jonathan Papelbon’s being. Still, they score more runs than anyone else in the AL quartet, and their pitching is near the top.
2. Cubs: Not sure the city of St. Louis could survive a Jim Edmonds-powered Cubs championship. And by “city of St. Louis,” I mean Will Leitch.
3. Phillies: Jamie Moyer’s continued success is beyond my realm of comprehension, but I refuse to question it. After him and Cole though, that rotation is more suspect than Jayson Werth’s landing strip.
5. Angels: Most boring team in the field? Most boring team in the field.
6. Dodgers: Is there enough magic in the moonlight for Torre and Manny to make it a Boston-L.A. World Series? No.
7. Brewers: As much as I love CC, Prince, Braun and the idea of the Brew Crew, they have all the makings of a one-and-done.
8. White Sox: Advancement to the ALCS would be a shot to two things: a) the merits of the current playoff system and b) my interest in the ALCS.