I picked the wrong night to leave the camera at home, because the Comcast SportsNet open bar, karaoke and vintage hip-hop-fueled holiday jam was shockingly off the meter. Notables from the evening included but were not limited too:
- Mike Sellers(!) in chill mode.
- Ryan Zimmerman flexing after receiving congratulations for NOT being in the Mitchell Report.
- Brian Mitchell getting low.
- Doc Walker chomping on a cigar.
- Ray Brown and wife doing their best Sugarhill Gang.
- On-air folks Michael Jenkins, Lisa Hillary, Chris Miller, Russ Thaler, Kelli Johnson, Chick Hernandez and David Lee dancing and/or singing their pretty littles asses off.
- Steinz and I, off to the side, gawking.
Of course, I was the kid in a candy store. Sweetest of all was Wizards broadcast partners Steve Buckhantz and Phil Chenier, away from the action, watching Washington-Miami on TNT (hence their night off). They were as into it as any superfan you’ll ever see, and Buckhantz even let loose with a signature, belt-adjusting “dagger!” near the end as DeShawn continued to not feel his face. That was fun. Really fun.