Nene is out 4-6 weeks with a sprained MCL. Damn. [Truth About It]
Wiz lean on Seraphin, Booker in Nene’s absence. Uh oh. [Wiz Insider]
Terps get another quality near-win, lose close one to Cuse. [Testudo]
Werth, LaRoche and Mattheus all have really terrific beards. [Bog]
Nats Park gets a new beer-and-sausage bar, The Big Stick. [WBJ]
There will never be a shortage of Kirk Cousins non-updates. [Insider]
Caps defenseman Karl Alzner isn’t even locally famous. [RMNB]
If Caps want to make playoffs they need to go streaking. [Peerless]
Neil Young playing D.C. at the height of his powers? Yes please. [AD]
As some of you noticed, I’ve been busy not posting anything lately. That’s because my wife had our third child two weeks ago. As it turns out, having a newborn and two children under six isn’t conducive to hobby blogging about D.C. sports!
Alas, here’s most of the big and/or interesting stuff that happened while we brought more Mottram into the world …
1. John Wall won the dunk contest. I was thrilled when he double-pump reversed over G-Wiz, who I never thought would figure prominently in All-Star Weekend. The dunk itself wasn’t that great. Live and in context, though, it was easily the dunk of the night, converted on the first try and shutting down the contest. The Wizards actually won something!
2. The Skins gave D-Hall a four-year deal. Four years is a lot of an old corner, and I’ve been known to dislike DeAngelo Hall quite a bit, but if John Keim thinks it’s a fair deal then it’s probably a fair deal. It’s not that much guaranteed money anyway. Burgundy Blog delves further.
3. Peter Angelos is spending some of that MASN money. Fifty million over four years for Ubaldo Jimenez, and $8 million over one for Nelson Cruz. The former is in line with the going rate for starting pitching, and the latter is pretty much no-risk. Both are nice to see, considering the O’s hadn’t spent a dime despite being on the cusp of playoff contention.
4. Maryland is going out with a whimper. The Terps’ last trip to Durham, as an ACC school at least, provided a great game and ultimate disappointment. Still not sure how Charlie Mitchell’s would-be game-winner didn’t drop.
5. The Wiz traded Jan Vesely for Andre Miller. Goodbye, 23-year-old lottery pick. Hello, 37-year-old journeyman. Mixed feelings here. On one hand, it cements bust status for yet another Wiz draft pick. On the other, they’re making moves to solidify the rotation for a playoff run. I’ll take it, and we’ll always have Jan’s greatest hits.
6. Fred Davis is not doing great. Get right, Sleepy.
7. Sochi was not kind to the Capitals. You’ve got to feel for Alex Ovechkin, and Nick Backstrom too. But not Brooks Laich; he’s fine.
What’d I miss?
Actually, come to think of it, I’m not even sure I was using Twitter all that much the last time the Wiz were over .500, which was all the way back in 2009. But, with a win over Portland, they’re over .500 now! A couple fun tweets that make the accomplishment that much richer:
Both tweets via FTW. And one more, for good measure:
10. Redskins — It doesn’t get much worse than 3-13, though chances are it probably will!
9. UNCW basketball — Trust me, it’s bad.
8. JMU football – After 15 years of Mickey Matthews, it’s Everett Withers’ time now. (I realize you don’t know who these men are.)
7. Maryland basketball — Sitting at .500 in the ACC, but the season seems doomed by non-conference misery. Tough to watch, too.
6. Maryland football — Seven wins and a Military Bowl appearance qualifies as success for Randy Edsall.
5. JMU basketball — Still high off of the 2013 CAA Championship. Roll Dukes!
4. Capitals — If the season ended today, the Caps would not be in the playoffs. Two points back!
3. Orioles – They haven’t done a thing to improve, but they did win 85 games last year. Not bad!
2. Nationals — Last summer was a staggering disappointment. They won 86, though, and Doug Fister joins the rotation. Also, no more Davey.
1. Wizards – Washington has the sixth seed in the East and would face Toronto, which is nice, because Toronto isn’t Miami or Indiana. Plus, the Wall-Beal backcourt makes me happy.
Jan Vesely was the sixth pick in the draft, you guys. Sixth! [FTW]
Five thoughts on the Caps’ loss in NY. They’ve lost five straight. [CI]
Nats may be interested in ex-A’s closer Grant Balfour. [Fox Sports]
1988 Donruss Jose Mesa is a stone classic. [O's Card O' the Day]
14 ways to improve the FedEx Field experience. [Hogs Haven]
Just Art Monk and London Fletcher, hanging out. [Redskins Blog]
The Wiz introduced the “bandwagon cam” to mock “Heat fans”. [Bog]
A puffy look at how Sean McVay became Skins OC at 27. [Insider]
Lots of info, but no conclusions, about Orakpo’s contract. [Insider]
Ovi scored a “stick, unbelievable” goal against Pitt. [Puck Daddy]
Curious that the Caps are going with three goalies. [Caps Outsider]
Catching up with forgotten man/No. 3 pick Otto Porter. [WaPo]
Mark Turgeon went apeshit in the Terps’ win over Notre Dame. [Bog]
Nats, O’s avoid arbitration with Detwiler, Bud Norris. [NI, Melewski]
Machado recovering, could be back by Opening Day. [Camden Chat]
Mr. Walk-Off wisely advises RGIII to stay off social media. [FTW]
Two of our old friends, ex-Wizard/human meme Nick Young and ex-Terp/Ukrainian machine Alex Len, mixed it up last night. Len leveled NY on a dunk attempt, you see, and then NY lost his damn mind.
Click through for more video and GIFs, but know that Nick is actually averaging 20.9 points/game, which is what happens when you’re a volume shooter on the Kobe-less Lakers. Alex is averaging 1.6, which is what happens when you should still be back in College Park, really.
Stumping for John Wall to be the first Wiz all-star in six years. [Wise]
Stats explain why the Wizards are so very average. [Bullets Forever]
Caps lose to Canes in overtime with Ovi on the second line. [RMNB]
After recent skid, the Caps are also perfectly average. [WaPo]
Bruce Allen: Skins haven’t talked to Cowher or Jon Gruden. [Insider]
Sizing up top Skins head coach candidate Darrell Bevell. [Keim]
Five players the Skins may cut to save cap space. [Real Redskins]
Brad Beal scored 21 in his first game back after missing a few weeks, including two on the game-winning layup above. Martell Webster added 30(!). Wiz now have the East’s 6th-best record (10-13). [Bullets Forever]
Ovi named First Star of the Week for general badassery. [RMNB]
Homemade Kirk Cousins jerseys spotted at the Atlanta game. [Bog]
This is why Dan Steinberg is one of our local treasures. [Bog]
Darrell Green would like to work in personnel for the Redskins. [Bog]
NFC East is only NFL division w/out a 12-win team since ’08. [FTW]
The Nats still have at least three roster holes to fill. [Nats Baseball]
O’s sign failed Nats 1st-round 1B Chris Marrero to minor deal. [Nats Insider]
Roddy Peters named ACC Frosh of the Week. Take that, Jabari. [TT]
This is good fun: the best D.C. sports quotes of 2013. [Bog]