I took part in the polling for Steinz’ annual list of D.C.’s most popular current athletes, so I figured I’d go ahead and share my ballot here*:
1. Alex Ovechkin — A universally-liked star.
2. Chris Cooley — A universally-liked semi-star.
3. Donovan McNabb — A still new, mostly-liked star.
4. Clinton Portis — An equally liked and loathed fading star.
5. Gilbert Arenas — A riddle wrapped up in bacon, but still a star.
6. Ryan Zimmerman — Slowly but surely becoming more popular over time.
7. Nicklas Backstrom — Could’ve vaulted into the top five with a playoff run.
8. Brian Orakpo — Will vault into the top five with a monster 2010.
9. Stephen Strasburg — With luck, he’ll never be rated this low ever again.
10. London Fletcher — Kind of a minor figure, but one everyone likes.
Honorable mention: Colt Brennan — There are a lot of idiots out there.
* Ovi’s a lock at 1; everything else is up for highly subjective debate.