Maybe after living with a guy for more than a decade, you begin to learn a little too much about him. And maybe you forget that others around the country may not know as much about a guy as you do. Since it was news to the Brothers Mottram that Donovan McNabb played basketball at Syracuse –- something Philly people would assume everyone knows –- they asked that I share a few more McNabb nuggets some of you in and around the Beltway may not know. As always, I asked my good friend and co-host Nick Tarnowski and our crack stat guy Mike McKeeman, for help.
Did you know …
1. Donovan McNabb has quite a lot in common with the First Family. Not only is he the second black politician from Chicago to successfully campaign his way to Washington in the last two years, but McNabb also went to the same high school as Michelle Obama’s brother, Craig Robinson.
2. McNabb has the lowest interception rate of any QB in history (one INT every 48 attempts), but that doesn’t mean he’s accurate. His lifetime completion percentage is only 59% (ranking him just behind the likes of David Carr, Elvis Grbac and JP Losman on the all time list).
3. Last season McNabb ranked 20th in the NFL in completion percentage, 10 spots behind Jason Campbell.
4. McNabb wants people to think he’s cool with TO now, doing the whole Pros v. Joes and telling people he’d want the Skins to bring him in. But that whole mess in Philly was at least 50% his fault. Maybe more. TO may be a menace, but McNabb had several chances to quash that situation and did the exact opposite. He lost the locker room after that, as more players sided with TO than the media, especially national media, let on.
5. While Donovan’s father has already made news in DC by comparing the trade to the resurrection of Jesus Christ, it’s his mother who makes the most noise. Did you know she posted an entry on his blog during the playoffs a few years back that the team’s success was bittersweet because Jeff Garcia was leading the team and not her son. I did mention this was on his blog, right?
6. Last, speaking of Mama McNabb, did you know that the original Campbell’s Soup ads featured actresses as the players’ moms before the real Mrs. McNabb, et al, got in on the action?
Fun note: The actress who played Mama McNabb was Marcella Lowery who played the principal on the show City Guys, which was like an urban-style Saved by the Bell. One of the stars of City Guys was Wesley Johnson who went on to star in What I Like About You with Amanda Bines. Amanda Bines was once on an episode of Arliss. Robert Wuhl, who played Arliss, was in Bull Durham with Tim Robbins. And Tim Robbins, as I’m sure you already saw where this was going, was in Mystic River … with Kevin Bacon.
I’m betting even the Philly people didn’t know that one.
(Photo lifted with love from the Redskins Blog.)