If you’ve been watching the Nats on MASN at all, you’re well familiar with the “Defining Moments” ad campaign, starring reals fans and even bloggers such as Miss Chatter and Screech’s Best Friend. And if you’ve read sports blogs at all, you know these have been roundly mocked, especially this one:
Yeah, a walk-off walk. That’s Natscitement. No wonder attendance is down 35 percent. I’ve got to imagine ratings have taken a similar dive.
Regardless, these commercials have been deemed so successful that MASN is casting for a second round of “Defining Moments”. This despite the fact that, aside from Ryan Zimmerman’s walk-off home run to open Nats Park, there aren’t many defining moments, at least not positive ones.
So, after the jump, we present the Nationals’ top 10 real defining moments, moments that MASN doesn’t want you to know about …
- Nick Johnson reaching 500 at-bats, immediately breaking his leg.
- Getting outbid for both Alfonso Soriano and Mark Teixeira.
- Dmitri Young showing up at camp weighing 291 pounds.
- Giving “Smiley Gonzalez” a $1.4 million signing bonus.
- Signing Paul Lo Duca to a $5 million contract.
- Failing to sign No. 9 overall pick Aaron Crow.
- Stan Kasten inviting Philly fans to Nats Park.
- Chad Cordero unleashing 79-mph fastballs.
- Odalis Perez, Opening Day starter.
I’m sure there are more. There must be.