My favorite bits from the Hall of Fame induction speech of nine-time Pro Bowler Chris Hanburger (video via Hogs Haven):
1. “I’ll tell you one thing, I brought that boy up right, that’s for sure.” That was Hanburger’s opening line after his son had introduced him. I don’t know if it’s because of how great my own dad is or if it’s because I’m a dad now too, but that got me right from the start.
2. The shoutout to the Over-the-Hill Gang. Billy Kilmer, Brig Owens, Ron “The Dancing Bear” McDole, Pat Fischer and Larry Brown were all in attendance, and they each got a mention.
3. The roast of his fellow inductees. Before getting into his own stuff, Hanburger took time out to bust the chops of Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Shannon Sharpe and Richard Dent, who I’m pretty sure he referred to as “Richard Denton” not once but twice.
4. Hanburger is so old school, he … served in the Army for two years after high school. He played both center and linebacker in college. He was drafted in the 17th round. He retired the year after I was born, and I’m 33. He has no idea how the HOF election process works. (Neither do I.)
5. “The real Hall of Fame people.” On the same day that 22 Navy SEALs were killed in Afghanistan, Hanburger lavished praise upon the armed forces, law enforcement and firefighters.