Maryland Sports Correspondent Andy Peden’s ballot in the Atlantic 11 …
Tomorrow is March so its time to assess where everyone stands as of now.
1. George Mason (25-5, 16-2, RPI: 24 ) — Looking at a 6 or 7 seed if they win the CAA tournament. They currently have the nation’s longest winning streak.
2. Georgetown (21-8, 10-7, RPI: 8) — The Hoyas had a horrific week. Not only did they lose twice at home to fall out of the running for a double bye in the Big East and a top-four seed in the NCAA but Chris Wright was injured. They said he’s going to be back before the end of the season, but I’m not sure how much I buy that he’ll be the same player.
3. ODU (24-6, 14-4, RPI: 27) — They are slowly moving into safe territory. They just need to avoid a real early exit in the CAA Tournament to be absolutely sure.
4. Richmond (22-7,11-3 RPI: 62) — Most bracketologists say they need to win their last two and get to the A-10 finals with a win against Xavier or Temple along the way. I’m way too biased so I’ll accept that as the truth (even though I don’t agree).
5. VA Tech (19-9, 9-5, RPI: 53) — Got the marquee win they needed over Duke. They are pretty much in but I’d still recommend winning a few more games. If I had to guess, I say they drop one this week and still have to sweat it out.
6. Maryland (18-11, 7-7, RPI: 83) — Same old story. They can’t beat the good teams. Most say they need to win the ACC, but I think a run to the finals gets them in.
7. VCU (21-10, 12-6, RPI: 66) — Painful loss to JMU on Saturday might have knocked them off the bubble. They might be able to get into the NCAA without winning the CAA tournament but will have to get to the finals with at least a win over GMU along the way.
8. JMU (21-10, 10-8, RPI: 74) — Very good win on Saturday over VCU. They have to win the CAA Tournament to get to the NCAA, but even if they don’t, a few wins should get them into the NIT.
9. Hampton (20-8, 10-5, RPI: 177) — MEAC title or bust. They’ve got as good as chance as anyone.
10. American (21-8, 11-3, RPI: 112 ) — Very good season for American. Just like Hampton, they have a reasonable chance to win their conference tournament.
11. Virginia (14-14, 5-9, RPI: 147) — They are just trying to stay above .500 to make a postseason tournament. Bennett needs more horses for next year to get this program back on its feet.