Mr. I Maryland Sports Correspondent Andy Peden casts his weekly ballot in the so-called Atlantic 11 college hoops poll.
1. Georgetown (18-5, 8-4) — Huge loss at Cuse last night. The Hoyas are working on seeding at this point. They have a reasonable chance to end up with a highly desired top-four seed, especially with a top-20 RPI.
2. Virginia (19-4, 6-3) — No shame losing to a FSU team that is officially rolling. Their RPI and SOS aren’t as good as their record, so its really hard at this point to guess their seed.
3. George Mason (20-6, 12-2) — Had a slip-up this week before beating ODU. It doesn’t matter much since it still appears they have to win the CAA to get in. Should win both their games this week.
4. VCU (21-5, 12-2) — As I have said before, the CAA is going to be a battle to see who gets the bid. Not ready to move them up, but check back after Valentine’s Day when they have played both ODU and Mason.
5. Maryland (14-9, 4-5) — Finally got a road win. They’re current not in the bubble talk but have games with UNC, Duke and UVA (twice) left so they have the opportunity to get into the conversation.
6. Old Dominion (16-10, 10-3) — Let’s just say their game Saturday against VCU is going to tell us a lot.
7. Loyola (18-5, 11-2) — Friday night against Iona. If you are in the area, you should try to go.
8. Virginia Tech (13-10, 2-6) — Showing signs of life.
9. Norfolk State (17-8, 9-2) — So much for running the table. They have been a little shaky, but they’re still in position to be the top seed in the MEAC.
10. American (15-8, 6-2) — They’re rising because others are falling
11. Richmond (13-12, 4-6) — No more ups and downs. Mainly just downs.