Mr. I Maryland Sports Correspondent Andy Peden casts his weekly ballot in the so-called Atlantic 11 college hoops poll.
1. Georgetown (16-4, 6-3) — You kind of had to figure Pitt would finally show up. The Hoyas are firmly entrenched in the 1 spot.
2. Virginia (17-3, 4-2) — Nice bounce back this week. Their schedule is about to get tough with two games each against FSU and UNC, not to mention Clemson and Maryland, who both are playing better.
3. George Mason (18-5, 10-1) — Their SOS in the high 200s is terrible, but they’re ranking up wins. Big A-11 matchup against ODU Saturday.
4. VCU (18-5, 9-2) — All the top teams in the CAA keep winning. Hard for VCU to move up in the CAA or the A-11.
5. Maryland (13-7, 3-3) — They hung in with Duke for about 35 minutes but failed to pull off the upset. They were able to close out VT.
6. Old Dominion (14-9 ,9-2) — Got a tough draw in the Bracket Buster. Going to Missouri State is no easy task.
7. Loyola (16-5, 9-2) — Like most of the non-BCS schools, they’re racking up wins but have a weak SOS.
8. Richmond (12-10, 3-4) — This week they won by 44 and lost by 15. I give up on trying to figure them out.
9. Virginia Tech (12-9, 1-5) — They’re done. Thankfully they’e young.
10. Norfolk State (16-6, 8-0) — Can they run the table in the MEAC?
11. American (14-8, 5-2) — They hold down the last stop only because GW lost twice.