This is Maryland Sports Correspondent Andy Peden’s ballot in the Atlantic 11 poll.
There were numerous A-11 showdowns last week, and both Va. Tech and Mason had very good weeks. Now the CAA has a rare three-game week scheduled, and the four CAA teams in these rankings will all be favored in their three games. Good time for them to pad their record.
1. Georgetown (14-5, 3-4) — The win at Seton Hall in their only game of the week is enough to maintain the A-11’s top spot.
2. Richmond (15-5, 4-1) — Two more wins this week. The Spiders are showing up in a lot of the updated tournament projections. Maybe their biggest week of the year coming up with a road game at Dayton then home against Xavier.
3. ODU (14-5, 5-3) — They were able to put JMU in their place but lost their other big A-11 match-up Saturday at VCU. While their record isn’t what a typical mid-major needs to get into the tournament, they have an RPI in the low 30s. Getting those three wins this week would really help.
4. VA Tech (13-5, 3-2) — Big win at MD Thursday. Like Richmond, they’re probably back in the tournament as of today.
5. George Mason (14-5, 6-2) — Very good week with wins over Drexel and JMU. Cam Long scored 30 against JMU on only nine shots from the field, which is pretty much unheard of. With their RPI in the low 30s, they too are back in the conversation.
6. Maryland (12-7, 2-3) — As deflating as the loss to Nova was, the VT game was worse. MD was able to bounce back against Clemson. MD has UVA, GT, Duke, Wake and Longwood coming up. If they want to get back to the tournament, they must go 4-1 in that stretch.
7. VCU (15-5, 7-1) — Quietly won six in a row including the big win over ODU Saturday.
8. JMU (15-5, 5-3) — As soon as the bandwagon gets started up, it completely stalls. I wasn’t expecting them to win both games this week, but they needed to beat either ODU or Mason.
9. Virginia (11-8, 2-3) — Lost at BC but crushed GT over the weekend. They continue to play hard for Coach Bennett.
10. Hampton (15-4, 5-1) — Still look like the favorite to win their conference.
11. American (14-6, 4-1) — Won seven of eight but the Patriot League tournament will define their season.