Here to recap Episode 2 of HBO’s “24/7 Penguins/Capitals” is Mr. Irrelevant Pittsburgh Sports Correspondent Jason Dailey (aka Mr. Yinzer). Be nice. Also, check out Greg Wyshynski’s stellar recap over at Puck Daddy.
First, a note on the “we want Pittsburgh” chant. Caps fans, let’s not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. Your squad has won two in a row. But let’s dial it down a notch inside the Beltway. Yinz guys are coming off an eight-game skid. You beat the fourth- and fifth-place teams in the Atlantic and Northeast. Great job. We’ll see tonight how bad you want Pittsburgh. Mr. Yinzer predicts a 4-1 victory for the Pens. Now, onto the show …
1. Mike Green gets 70 miles to the gallon on this hog. Has Green not learned anything from Ben Rapethlisberger (alleged) and driving around on motorcycles? I mean scooters? Really, Green? A Vespa? WTF. This series is making it very hard to like yinz guys. I’m trying. But the ending of this episode was a deal breaker. When you guys were beating the beat after a win, I gave up hope. Come on, boys.
2. The refs let ’em go. In how many other sports will the refs make room for the players to fight? You’ve got to love hockey. Referee Stephen Walkom was encouraging and even moved the net for Aaron Asham and Sean Avery to square off.
3. We got a good look at Sidney Crosby’s lucky cup. I’m pretty sure I would eat cereal from Sid’s cup. And his pre-game rituals are interesting. I wonder if he still lives with Lemieux?
4. MARIOOOOOOOOO! Seeing number 66 back on the ice is enough to give any Pens fan goosebumps. He’s the reason the Pens are where they are today. Looks like he still has the magic on the ice too. In my opinion, it doesn’t appear the Caps have the same positive environment as the Penguins organization. Is my judgment altered from growing up in Pittsburgh? I mean, I did say I’d eat from Sid’s cup.
5. HBO kicks out the jams. Last week it was Band Of Horses. This week they rocked Johnny Cash and the Cold War Kids. Keep it up, HBO. Another reason to love the show.
6. Stay classy, Philly. Just look at that sign. The Pens lost a tough one to the interstate rival Flyers to break their 12-game win streak. With the way the Caps have been playing, makes me wonder if this series would have been more compelling with the Flyers. I’m just sayin’.
7. Bruce Boudreau, fashion plate. Nice Jeans. Not much to say here. It’s just amazing that people don’t pull him aside and make him go change. Does he iron his jeans?
8. Tradition runs strong In Pittsburgh. Last week it was “Mustache Boy”. This week it was the Kevin “Duffy” Shovel Award, given after each win to the player that worked the hardest. Pretty sure the Caps’ hardhat serves the same purpose.
9. Losing is a disease. Finally! Congratulations on the much-needed win, Capitals. It’s OK that your two wins have come against Ottawa and New Jersey. Tonight will be a true test and we expect to see a strong and fired up Washington squad.
10. Let’s extend the “24/7” concept. This episode was another great look into two NHL teams chasing the Stanley Cup. Makes me wonder what other topics would make for a compelling series. Mr. Yinzer’s top five picks for HBO’s next ’24/7′ subject:
1. Ryder Cup USA vs. Europe.
2. Tiger or Phil prepping for Augusta
3. Top NFL prospect leading up to the draft
4. The Yankees in the postseason
5. March Madness
(Image taken with love from @wyshynski, who has another good one.)