Five reasons why bringing in Westbrook is a good idea:
1. He’s cheap. He doesn’t cost draft picks, current players or much money.
2. Westbrook and McNabb are close. They’ve had a lot of success together in Philly.
3. Washington needs a third-down back. The Skins have the all-fantasy backfield of 2006 already, but which of those guys is playing on third down? Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker aren’t receiving threats, and the most capable of the bunch (Portis) is also the one most likely to run on first and second down.
4. Parker is expendable. He only has an incentive-laden one-year deal. It wouldn’t hurt to cut him, especially given how redundant he seems with Portis and LJ already on the roster and for more time/money.
5. Westbrook’s age isn’t as much of a concern. A third-down back doesn’t take the beating a primary ballcarrier does, so, while I’d like some youth in the Redskins backfield, his advancing age and lingering injuries don’t worry me as much as those of the other geriatric backs.
Maybe it happens. Maybe it doesn’t. Maybe Redskins fans would hate it. Maybe Eagles fans are all gonna laugh at us. But I’m all for it.
Make it happen, Capt. Shanahan.